Open Volunteer Positions
Moderator - Pond Chat
Number of Positions: 5
Reports to: Pond Chat Administrative Team
Shifts Available: Daily 8am-10:30a and 4-5 pm; Monday - Thursday 7-8 pm; and Sunday 5-7 pm.
Overview: Promote a welcoming, positive, and educational experience for all participants visiting fast-paced chat room devoted to educating visitors about the North American Bear Center’s resident bears and the Wildlife Research Institute’s study bears. Share current information, answer questions, and direct chatters to alternative resources. Enforce chat guidelines in order to maintain a dynamic, respectful, and family-friendly (“G” rated) environment at all times. Support and collaborate with members on your team of mods.
- Report to assigned shift prepared and on time.
- Stay current with NABC/WRI activities by reading daily update, news on Lily's Facebook page, e-mails from moderators or researchers, and other approved sources.
- Keep chatters engaged by steering discussion toward bear-related topics and posting relevant links to information or video.
- Operate the PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) camera to track bear movement for viewers
- Handle difficult situations with patience, tact, and respect for chatters, according to moderator guidelines.
- Keep up-to-date on moderator guidelines.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Must have a Facebook account to post relevant information and manage comments that may be inappropriate.
- Better than average knowledge of bears and willingness to keep learning.
- Outstanding ability to multi-task.
- Positive, "can do" attitude with strong interpersonal skills.
- Access to computer and Internet.
- Better than average keyboarding and computer skills – must be able to develop a system to store and retrieve relevant links quickly, navigate among multiple opened screens, and copy and paste information into chat window, all while keeping up with comments posted on chat and in private message windows.
Time Commitment: 7-10 hours per week. Ongoing preferred, but flexible schedule can be accommodated. Two-week trial period of training. Ongoing team support.